Our art residency is for international visual and digital artists, curators, and researchers, who would like to explore a unique blend of contemporary Egyptian life, as well as its traditions, arts, and culture. It offers an opportunity for artists working with digital mediums to explore connections and find relevance between technology, society, and art.
Residents are invited to first conceptualize and then realize a specific project during their stay - be it a visual art project, research, or conducting a workshop – for a selected duration from 2 weeks to 3 months.
Our team and network will offer support for developing any project throughout the duration of the stay, and guidance through the vibrant cultural scene and what the different areas of Cairo have to offer. Out Of The Circle will also help the resident establish connections with other local artists or arts and culture organizations based on individual interests. Concluding their stay, the resident is expected to hold a public presentation of their work in Out of The Circle’s studio.
Accommodation is hosted by Out Of The Circle’s curator Elham Khattab in a shared two-room studio in the Mohandessin area. This location is in central Cairo and a quick 15 - 20 minute cab ride from Zamalek or Downtown, two art-hub neighborhoods. The resident will have a private double room, while sharing a quiet co-working space, a communal living room, the kitchen, and bathroom.
A modest residency fee per week includes:
· Double room with air conditioning, shared studio, bathroom, kitchen (with fridge, cooker, and a washing machine)
· Weekly cleaning of the apartment and rooms
· Pick up from the airport and a welcome dinner with an Egyptian family
· Optional culture/history tours in Cairo with a professional tour guide (in English or French)
To apply please send your application to including the following:
· Your full name (as stated in your passport) and artist name
· Nationality and country of residence
· Your Biography and CV
· Your project concept of 500 words maximum, explaining why you are interested in a residency with us
· Work samples: 5 to 10 photos, or links to videos if you are a visual artist. A sample of your work if you are a curator or researcher.
· If you are selected for the residency, we will ask for a copy of your passport